Information About Deaths & Burial



                             LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT

If the death occurs in hospital, the hospital staff will contact the person named by the deceased as next of kin. The hospital will keep the body in hospital mortuary until the executor arranges for it to be taken away.
A medical certificate will be issued by the Hospital, to register the death with the local registrar.

Most funeral directors have a chapel of rest in which the deceased will be held pending the funeral. Hospital staff will arrange for the nearest relative to collect the deceased's possessions.

If the death occurs in a nursing home/or Elsewhere

If the death was expected, contact his/her G.P who attended the deceased during their final illness.

If the cause of death is quite clear the G.P will give you a Medical Certificate and formal Notice that the Medical Certificate has been signed. After that you can phone Islamic funeral services to take the body for GHUSL and KAFAN.


Medical Certificate: 

That shows the cause of death (this is free of charge)

  • A formal Notice that states that the doctor has signed the Medical certificate. Take this medical certificate to your local Registrar office to get the death registered.

  • Death must be registered with your local registrar of birth/Marriages/Deaths for the district or sub district in which it occurred within five days. If the death has been referred to the coroner, it cannot be registered until the registrar has received authority from the coroner to do so. However if the cause of death is quite clear then you can take the medical certificate issued by the GP to the Registrar and they will register it.

Please telephone 0300 200 1002 to make an appointment 

Reigate Library
Bancroft Road


Leatherhead register office
The Mansion
70 Church Street
KT22 8DP  

  • Tel: 0300 200 1002
  • Fax: 01372 832810
  • Email: registration.leatherhead@surreycc.gov.uk

But you may need more then one copy for the will, pension claims, insurance police, bank certificate and premium bonds etc.

When you go to the registrar office you should take all of these:

  1. Medical certificate (Issued by G.P)
  2. Deceased medical card, if you have one.
  3. The deceased Birth and Marriage certificate, if available.

You should tell the registrar:

  • The date and place of death.
  • The deceased last address.
  • The deceased first Name and surname
  • The deceased date and place of birth.
  • The deceased occupation and the name and occupation of their spouse.
  • Whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from the public fund.
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.

The registrar who registers the death will issue you a Certificate for Burial (known as the green form) unless the coroner has already given you an Order for Burial (form101) this gives you permission for the body to be buried.